skip tocontent

frequently-asked questions

This section answers a number of frequently-asked questions (FAQs) about:

complaining to the ombudsman

complaints from people based outside the UK

I’m a UK citizen currently living in Europe. Would I still be covered by the Financial Ombudsman Service if I had a complaint – or would I need to go to a European equivalent?

Whether you could bring the complaint to us would depend on where the business that provided the financial service was based – not on your particular nationality or on where you were living at the time.

Broadly, we cover businesses that provide retail financial products and services in or from the UK. For complaints against businesses based outside the UK, you may be able to get help from an equivalent complaints-handling body.

Look on the website of the European consumer financial complaints network ("FIN-NET") to see if there is an ombudsman scheme (or some other complaints-handling body) dealing with complaints against banking, insurance and/or investment businesses based in the relevant European country.