skip tocontent

information for businesses covered by the ombudsman service

This section answers a number of frequently-asked questions (FAQs) about:

the standard of service we provide

complaints about our service

who can I complain to if I'm not happy with the service provided by the Financial Ombudsman Service?

We are able to resolve the majority of disputes by making informal suggestions and recommendations. But if you are unhappy with the conclusions we are reaching, please tell the adjudicator handling the case as early as possible.

If we cannot resolve the dispute informally to the satisfaction of both the business and consumer involved, one of our ombudsmen will need to make a formal decision on the case. This happens in around one in ten cases. The ombudsman's decision is final - you cannot appeal to another ombudsman.

We have an entirely separate procedure for handling complaints about the level of service we have provided. We would like to hear from you if you are not happy with the way in which we have dealt with a case - or if you are dissatisfied with the service we have provided.

Our procedure for complaints about our service standards involves an independent assessor. The independent assessor can carry out a final review of the way in which we have handled a complaint. She cannot get involved in disagreements about the merits of a case - whether we were right to uphold or reject a dispute between a business and a consumer.

The independent assessor is appointed by our board and has official terms of reference. Each year the independent assessor writes an annual report, summarising her findings and recommendations over the year, which our board publishes in full. You can find her latest report on page 53 of our directors' report and accounts for 2014/15.