skip tocontent

complaints about our service

Whatever the outcome of your case, we want to give you the best possible level of customer service.

If you’re unhappy with the outcome of your case – for example, the view our case handler has reached about what’s fair – we’ll explain the next steps. If you’ve not had one already, we can arrange for an ombudsman to make a final decision on your case.

But if you’re not happy with the level of service we’ve given you, please tell us. You can do that at any point while we’re still handling the case, or within three months of the date on which we gave you an answer to the case.

We want to know if, for example, you feel that:

  • we’ve caused unnecessary delays
  • we haven’t kept you updated
  • we’ve communicated with you inappropriately

Once we know why you’re unhappy, we’ll try to put things right for you. We can also learn from what you’ve told us – and improve what we do in future.

tell the person dealing with your case

The first thing to do if you’re not happy is to tell the person who’s been dealing with your case. Most of the time, they’ll be able to get things sorted for you straight away.

You can contact them by phone, post or email. If you aren’t sure who to contact, you can phone our consumer helpline on 0800 023 4 567. They’ll put you in touch with someone who can help.

tell a manager

If you don’t feel the problem has been sorted out, you can speak to one of our managers. They’ll look into your concerns about the level of service we’ve given you.

The manager you speak to will depend on what you’re unhappy about. We’ll make sure your complaint gets to someone well placed to address your concerns.

They’ll reply to your complaint within 15 working days. If they need more time, they’ll let you know and explain why.

The manager won’t look again at the outcome of your case, but they will try and put things right where possible. And they’ll let you know that if you’re still unhappy, you can contact the independent assessor – Ms Amerdeep Somal.

contact the independent assessor

If a manager has replied to your complaint about our service, but you’re still not happy, you can contact the independent assessor – Ms Amerdeep Somal.

The independent assessor is appointed by our board and has her own official terms of reference. She has her own website which explains her role in more detail:

She won’t be able to change the outcome of your case. But she will carry out her own review of the service we’ve provided.

You can email the independent assessor at: or write to her at:

The independent assessor
PO Box 35738
E14 9YU

questions you might have:

“I’m unhappy with your service but I don’t know who to speak to. What should I do?”

If you’ve been dealing with someone here then just give them a call or send them an email or letter. Explain what you’re unhappy about and they’ll try to help, or they’ll find the right person to look into what’s happened.

If you’ve not been dealing with anyone then call our helpline on 0800 023 4 567 instead.

“I’m unhappy with the outcome of a case I’m involved in. Will you review that if I complain about your service?”

If the case hasn’t had an ombudsman’s decision yet, then that’s the next step if you want the outcome reviewed.

If the case has already been decided by an ombudsman, then no-one here – including another ombudsman – can overturn the decision. We will of course look into any concerns you might have though, and see if there’s anything we can do to help.

“I want to complain about your service on behalf of the financial business I work for. Is there a different process for that?”

The process is no different to above – both businesses and consumers can complain about the service we’ve given them.

“How long do I have to complain?”

You can complain about our service at any point while we’re still handling the case. But if we’ve given you an answer to the case, then you’ll need to complain within three months of the date on which we gave you that answer.