If you have a complaint about an insurance company or claim, we can help. Find out more about the types of insurance complaints we deal with, and what we can do to help put things right.
This page contains information about our general approach to complaints about insurance. If you’re looking for information specifically in relation to Covid-19, please look at our dedicated page that contains information for consumers about complaints in relation to Covid-19.
How we handle complaints about insurance
There are certain types of insurance many people need to have – like car insurance and buildings insurance. But other insurance policies are matters of choice – like private medical or dental insurance. We receive complaints from consumers about a range of insurance products.
We look at the facts and circumstances of each individual complaint. We listen impartially to both you and the business when deciding what’s fair and reasonable in the circumstances. We also take into account:
- the policy wording
- any relevant laws and regulations
- industry codes of conduct and best practice
- any relevant evidence like medical reports, photos, application and claims forms
Once we’ve considered everything, we’ll set out our findings, explaining whether we think the business has treated you fairly or not. If we think the business has treated you unfairly, we’ll set out what we think needs to be done to put things right.
Complaints we see
Find out more about the types of complaint we get about insurance, and how we might be able to help.
How to complain
How long it takes
It is currently taking around 5 months for us to allocate a complaint about insurance to a case handler for review – although it may take longer if your complaint is more complex. We’re working hard to reduce this wait time, so you may hear from us sooner than this.
- Read more detail about overall timescales, including how Covid-19 is affecting complaint handling at financial businesses and at the ombudsman service.
- If you’re facing financial hardship or severe ill health, please let us know.
- If you’re experiencing financial difficulties, you may also find the Money Advice Service website useful, it contains a list of online debt advice services where you can get immediate and personalised help.
Information about Covid-19
For guidance specifically about Covid-19, please look at our dedicated page that contains information about complaints in relation to Covid-19.