Complaints we can help with
We can help with complaints about most kinds of financial products and services provided in or from the UK – from bank accounts, debt collection and payday loans to insurance and mortgages.
Find out more about our approach to complaints about specific types of financial product or service by selecting the area you’d like to read about from the list below:
- Home, travel, motor, wedding and other types of insurance
- Bank accounts, payments, cards, cash machines and other banking services
- Fraud and scams
- Mortgages including early repayment charges, valuations and equity
- Loans and other types of credit like car finance or debt and repayment problems
- Pension and annuities
- Payment protection insurance (PPI)
- Other complaints – including complaints involving the impact of Covid-19, economic and domestic abuse, the cost of living, or power of attorney.
An introduction to the role of the Financial Ombudsman Service, the complaints we can help with and how to make a complaint.
We’re a free service set up by Parliament to resolve complaints about financial businesses, for example banks or insurance companies. If we decide you’ve been treated unfairly, we have the power to put things right.
To get an idea of whether your complaint is something we can help with before you send it to us, we’ll ask you some questions about some of the things we need to know upfront before you send us a complaint. You can do this online, using our complaint checker. If your complaint sounds like something we can help with, it will tell you how to make a new complaint using our online form. Or read through the information on this page first, to find out more about us and our role.
Are you a small business?
If you’re a small business (SME) and want to make a complaint to us, go to our dedicated small business website for more information about how we can help.
Need help with a claims management dispute?
We can also help with complaints about claims management companies (CMCs). If you have a complaint, or you’re a CMC dealing with a complaint, go to the Claims Management Ombudsman website for more information.