We’ve been sorting out complaints between financial businesses and their customers since we were set up by Parliament in 2001.
Our service is free for consumers, and every year well over 1 million people contact us about problems with:
- bank accounts, payments and cards
- payment protection insurance (PPI)
- home, car, travel and other types of insurance
- loans and other credit, like car finance
- debt collection and repayment problems
- financial advice, investments and pensions
Find out more about the complaints we can help with.
Guided by fairness
Fairness is at the heart of what we do – and how we treat our staff and the people who use our service.
If a financial business and a customer can’t resolve a complaint themselves, we’ll give an unbiased answer about what has happened. If we decide someone has been treated unfairly, we’ll use our legal powers to put things right.
The people behind the Financial Ombudsman Service
From our non-executive board to our panel of ombudsmen, find out about the people who work for our service – and how you can join our team.