All FAQs

Everyone has the right to appoint someone else to act on their behalf. Some consumers might ask their local citizens advice bureau, or a friend, carer or relative, to help them with their complaint.

Other consumers may choose to pay a professional - such as a lawyer, accountant or independent financial adviser - to complain for them.

We tell consumers up-front that if they employ a professional to present their case for them, they will almost certainly have to pay the costs themselves - even if we uphold their complaint.

More consumers are now using the services of claims-management companies (sometimes called "no win, no fee" agencies).

Our experience shows no difference in the outcome of complaints - whether consumers bring them to us themselves, or use a claims-management company to complain on their behalf. In other words, we are no more or less likely to uphold a complaint referred to us through a claims-management company.