If you’ve already complained to us about your PPI, we’ll get in touch with you as soon as we have an answer - or if we need more information from you to help resolve your complaint.
You can read about how the ombudsman service is resolving complaints about mis-sold PPI below.
If you haven’t complained about PPI - but think you might have a reason to complain - you can find out what to do here.
Where can I find out more about what’s happened with PPI?
Over the last few years, we’ve received and resolved well over a million complaints about PPI. You can see how many we’ve received each year in our annual review - and keep up to date with quarterly figures in ombudsman news.
- We first talked about problems with PPI in ombudsman news in 2001 - and again in 2005 (PDF 1.1MB).
- In 2008, we made a formal referral (PDF 190KB) to the regulator at the time, the Financial Services Authority (FSA), because of the record number of complaints we were getting and the high number we were upholding.
- In October 2010, the British Bankers Association (BBA), on behalf of a number of high-street banks, announced that it had launched a legal challenge – in the form of a judicial review (PDF 2.7MB) – against the FSA and the ombudsman service about the approach to PPI complaint handling.
- Judgment was handed down (PDF 3.2MB) in April 2011 – rejecting the banks' challenge and endorsing the approach taken by the regulator and the ombudsman. In May 2011, the BBA confirmed it wouldn’t be appealing against the High Court ruling or continuing its legal challenge.
- In 2012 we provided information about PPI to the Parliamentary Commission on Banking Standards, which was investigating mis-selling by banks.
- In 2014 Citizens Advice published a report about the lessons to be learned from PPI mis-selling.
- In 2016 an independent report (PDF 549KB) by Richard Thomas CBE looked at the impact of PPI mis-selling on the ombudsman service. The report was commissioned by our board following unprecedented demand from people with PPI complaints – to make sure we were able to help effectively. We responded (PDF 549KB) to Richard Thomas’s recommendations.
Information for Businesses On Our Approach to Complaints
We’ve sorted out millions of complaints about mis-sold PPI. If you’re involved in resolving PPI complaints, find out here how we investigate and resolve cases about PPI.