We’ve helped millions of people with concerns about PPI. You can find out more detail on how we've looked at the complaints we've seen and how we decide if PPI was mis-sold.
Our approach to complaints about mis-sold PPI
- A detailed look at how we resolve complaints about PPI.
- An overview of the ombudsman's approach to some of the common issues raised in PPI complaints.
- Our approach (PDF 70KB) to comparative (alternative) redress.
Case studies and ombudsman decisions
- A range of case studies showing how we look at complaints about how PPI was sold.
- Ombudsman decisions on PPI complaints showing our approach:
- Mr A's case (PDF 54KB), Mr and Mrs B's case (PDF 54KB) (PDF 54KB)and Mrs C's case (PDF 54KB) involve single-premium PPI policies sold with secured and unsecured personal loans.
- Mr D's case (PDF 85KB) (PDF 85KB), Mr E's case (PDF 85KB) and Mr F's case (PDF 85KB) involve PPI policies sold with a credit card.
- Mr G’s case, involves PPI sold with a mortgage.
- Some sample decisions covering the key issues involved in the complaints we’re currently being asked to look at:
- Ombudsman news (PDF 1.4MB) case studies about complaints brought by claims-management companies (PDF 5.7MB).
- Case studies involving payment protection products (PDF 1.7MB) that sound like PPI but aren't (for example, "debt-freeze" products).
- Case studies involving mortgage PPI (MPPI), right of "set off" and comparative (alternative) redress (PDF 2.8MB).
What we’ve said about PPI
- A letter to claims-management companies (PDF 48KB) and financial businesses (PDF 48KB) clarifying general operational issues in relation to handling PPI complaints.
- A presentation to financial businesses (PDF 172KB) and claims-management companies (PDF 172KB) about the general handling of PPI complaints.
- A letter to claims-management companies (PDF 48KB) and financial businesses (PDF 36KB) setting out how the ombudsman assesses disputes about whether or not PPI was sold.